Friday, September 3, 2010

Questions Answered...

Over the last year and a half I have been trying to become healthier. I joined an all women's boot camp that met in the morning from 5:30am-6:30am. This is the most exercise I had done in a very long time. I cut back on what I was eating. I tried adding more fruits and vegetables and tried to cut back on the less healthy options. I want to be healthy, I need to be.
Imagine my frustration when no weight changes occurred. Strength was increasing, but there was no decrease in my size. I felt like giving up.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago...Nate and I have talked about eventually starting a family of our own...things have not been going as planned. I went to a doctor to figure out more of what was going on and after several blood tests, it has been determined that I am insulin resistant. What does this mean?
This means that my body produces too much insulin or does not utilize it correctly. I am not diabetic, the blood sugar levels are very healthy. What this does mean is that my body fights letting go of weight as insulin is a growth factor. It was nothing that I was doing...my body just didn't want to let the weight go. This can also keep me from getting pregnant if not corrected. So the doctor has put me on a new medication called Metformin. Apparently many women who go on this lose an average of 10-20 pounds in a few weeks. That and learning how my body utilizes the food I eat and changing my eating habits to help my body utilize insulin better should turn things around. I will eventually be able to go off the medicine and have my body process things correctly. And we'll be able to get pregnant! Anybody who knows me, knows that being a Mom is one of my biggest dreams.
So I will keep this updated with how the meds and changes in diet are going. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment